Fairview C.Y., Ireland
Originally founded in 1948, Fairview C.Y. on Dublin's northside is one of the shortest courses around.
The course dates back to the 1940s although the club was reconstituted in 2013 following the liquidation of the Fairview CYMC/LC Sports Club, to which it was previously affiliated.
Situated just three kilometres from Dublin city centre, Fairview C.Y. opens up with a tricky little 31 metre test. The 2nd is a 41 metres straightaway hole over a grass mound, rated as Index 5.
Characteristic of Fairview C.Y. are yawning bunkers fronting tiny greens. The Index 13 3rd at 23 metres is typical of this. Tight boundary walls and mature trees are other features. One of the longest holes on the course is the 53 metre 15th! The teeshot on the downhill 39 metre 17th must carry a strategically placed sand bunker.
A regular winner of Pitch and Putt Ireland Club Development awards, Fairview C.Y. staged an annual Champion of Champions Tournament every Easter. This long-established event was hugely popular and the Roll of Honour is a veritable Who's Who of Pitch and Putt greats.
Fairview C.Y. was the scene of one of Pitch and Putt's greatest ever rounds. In a 1998 club competition local scratchman John Dennis, helped by an amazing four holes in one, toured the course in eighteen under par 36!
The course hosted the 1962 All Ireland Ladies Strokeplay championship, which was won by Teresa Kennedy (Shandon).