Glenville, Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland
Glenville lies in beautiful surroundings in Dublins populous Westside suburb, Tallaght. The course, nestled in the shadow of the Dublin mountains just off the Kiltipper Road, celebrates 60 years of existence in 2008.
Today Glenville is Irelands largest club with over 600 members. Back in the early World War II years, the area was markedly different. The land, which lies on the banks of the River Dodder, was a popular camp site holiday destination for residents of inner-city Dublin. Part of the land (now occupied by holes 6, 8, 9 and 10 of the Pitch and Putt course) was known as Campers Field and some more permanent holiday huts stood on the riverbank, close to what is now the 5th hole.
The campers decided to build a large putting green for their own amusement and many hours of enjoyment were had during the summer months. Some wanted something more exciting so a single Pitch and Putt hole was constructed. From this a nine hole course evolved and by 1948, Glenville was an 18 hole course. It was in 1948 that Glenville joined Glennane, Alpha (now Shandon) and CYMC to form the first Dublin County Pitch and Putt Board and the rest, as they say, is history.
The Club Motto could be summed-up as It can be done; Well do it; just do it! Glenville epitomises how a club should be run. Glenville Committees, past and present, have invested tremendous effort into achieving the wonderful facilities that the Glenville membership enjoys. Glenville members have been magnificent supporters of competitions and Glenville has also contributed some wonderful administrators over the years.
Glenville are an example to all other clubs. The course is always in first-class condition, testimony to a succession of quality greenkeepers. The course starts with a gentle opener but the challenge gets underway in earnest at the next with a long pitch over a yawning huge front bunker. The fifth present the twin posers of carrying a huge expanse of sand and avoiding the Out of Bounds hedge, close to where those holiday huts stood, all those years ago. The treacherously sloping ninth green brings the opening half to a testing conclusion. Holes 10 and 11 are short but tricky while the newly-lengthened 14th calls for an accurate teeshot to a green perched on a ledge. Dont be short! The final green, well protected by mounds and sand traps has witnessed much drama over the past six decades.
Some of the major Pitch and Putt events (a tribute to the excellence of the club as a host venue for major events) held at Glenville down the years include: 1977 National Mens Strokeplay Championships (Sean Stynes won by five) 1984 National Mens Matchplay Championships (Army man Tony McCormack pipped holder John OLeary) 1987 National Inter-County Championships (Meaths mens team fired 397 to beat a gallant Carlow by two while Dublin won the ladies) 1994 National Matchplay Championships (first twinning of the Mens and Ladies championships) 1997 Quadrangular International Tournament (Ireland beat England, Canada and Australia) 1998 National Matchplay Championships (Ray Murphy and Marian Byrne triumphed) 2001 National Ladies Strokeplay Championships (The late Peggy Campbells record performance) 2002 National Mixed Team Event Final (won by St. Bridgets) 2003 Special Olympics World Summer Games Pitch and Putt 2005 National Inter-County Championships (Corks mens scored the all-time championship record of 64 under par while Dublin regained the ladies crown) 2008 National Matchplay Championships (Ray Murphys third mens title in a row and a first ladies crown for Tara Dillon).